Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day 2

I have been diet coke free all day. Although I have been fiending for it I resisted and I'm happy I did. I've been reading a new book called "Skinny Bitch bun in the oven" and honestly I am considering tapering off my meat and dairy and trying out this whole vegan deal. Someone gave the boys and I spaghetti for dinner tonight since I'm not feeling well and I felt obligated to eat at least a little of it. Eating the meat after the knowledge I have now... it really was grossing me out. Other then those few bites I ate completely vegan today and it was pretty great. Growing up I refused milk, eggs, butter, and cheese. It wasn't until my pregnancies that I started eating them because I thought I needed the calcium. Funny things is God put all the calcium we need in leafy greens as well as tons of vitamins and proteins if we just stick to fruit, whole grains, veggies, and legumes. The information in this book is shocking and eye opening. Maybe just the information I need to make this 30 day diet detox a part of my life from here on out. One thing is for sure, I am not buying cows milk and feeding it to my boys any longer!

4 comments:

  1. p.s. I was reading that book not because I'm pregnant but because it was on clearance and had the same good information as the reg. skinny bitch books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's lots of Vegan Foodie Bloggers. You'll be able to make the switch pretty easily. It might be harder for the boys at first, but if you think it's worth it, that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hannah! I've read Skinny Bitch too, and I felt the same way after reading about the meat industry :/ There are so many benefits to a vegan diet-if you really stick to it, it basically kills your chances of getting cancer. I just wish I could be more dedicated in that regard, it's pretty tough when I'm surrounded by a family full of dedicated carnivores-at least I've managed to convince them to substitute some fish for red meat a couple of nights a week. If you find that it's too hard to stick to completely, you might try being a "flexitarian", basically, limiting meat and animal products to only 15% of your diet. It helps if you start to struggle-just stick to the highest quality, organic animal products when you do eat meat/dairy. In Poland veg/vegan lifestyles aren't so popular, so meat-sub products are expensive, as well as fresh fruits and veggies. When I came back to the U.S. last summer I discovered a wonderful vegan ice cream, the only one I've tried that actually tastes like REAL ice cream-it's called Purely Decadent. It's made with coconut milk, and it's delish. You can find it at Publix for sure, and we had it in Winn-Dixie in GB. I hope that helps!! I've also got a handful of decent vegan recipes, so just give a holler if you need any suggestions :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement Ladies! This morning was the first morning for the boys to have their coconut milk. I explained to them why we aren't drinking cows milk anymore and that the coconut milk would taste different. Gideon didn't have a problem with it, Juju is going back and forth between his juice.
    Yes Pam I think I'm going to start with a "flexitarian" approach, at least in the beginning. I have a long way to go before I'm a true vegan but thats what my detox is for- slowly getting me where I want to be. I'd love any recipes you enjoy! I can imagine how hard it is in Poland with the circumstances like that... wow.

    ReplyDelete